Page style:

A Blue Perspective: Web Essentials 05

Web Essentials 05
5 May 2005

It's back! Web Essentials – the best alibi for a few days down at the pub with fellow Web standardistas.

And this line-up is hot. Real hot. I mean, skip all the usual A-listers that just want an excuse for a holiday in Australia and check out the guy who managed to score bottom listing!

Seriously though, I was sceptical whether I'd return to Web Essentials after last year because I couldn't justify it professionally (regardless of the fact it was really fun). But Russ Weakley and the team managed to totally pull out the goods:

• Over twice the internationals, including Eric Meyer (!) and Jeffrey Veen (!)
  • Different streams, so you can skip those boring step by step case studies and head straight for the juicy JavaScript.
  • More hands-on presentations.
  • ... and even more flimsy excuses to drink!

If I hadn't managed to con Russ into thinking I knew anything about JavaScript, I'd still be there with bells on.

Rumour I heard was that Doug Bowman was only returning if five (count 'em – 5!) stenographers were on hand at all times.

Comments

1/10. 5 May 2005 @ 07:10, gb wrote:

I swear, one of these years I'll find the money to head back to oz for this... if not only for the conference, then because I just miss the place.

And to show you how little I read about pages, I had no idea you were a melbournite. Nice. Lived there (and places round about) for a few years. Lucky lucky man...

2/10. 5 May 2005 @ 09:31, Ian wrote:

I'm not as excited this year as last. I'm not sure why, the line-up looks amazing but I'm just not sure this year. Last year's piss up was a hoot though.

3/10. 5 May 2005 @ 20:32, Derek Featherstone wrote:

check out the guy who managed to score the bottom listing

Ha! its ok, man... I'm at the bottom of the International listing. If I was from Australia, I'd likely be listed underneath you!!

I look at it this way - someone has to be at the bottom, otherwise the list would never end. Being at the bottom is actually a really important role. Right?

4/10. 6 May 2005 @ 15:03, Nathan wrote:

Being at the bottom is actually a really important role. Right?

Well someone needs to hold the list up!

I'm not going to miss out this year, I'm just stoked they could pull together such a strong line-up, I feared it may not have been as good this year but I fear no more.

5/10. 7 May 2005 @ 02:08, Simon Jessey wrote:

I'd love to be able to go, but I simply cannot afford it at this time.

Wouldn't it be interesting if all the subsidies and investment spent on the world's mass transportation where instead spent on research into teleportation? That would make it much easier for me to put in an appearance!

6/10. 7 May 2005 @ 11:41, The Man in Blue wrote:

> Wouldn't it be interesting if all the subsidies and investment spent on the world's mass transportation where instead spent on research into teleportation?

I'm working on it, buddy. :0]

7/10. 10 May 2005 @ 14:54, heretic wrote:

<q> the best alibi for a few days down at the pub with fellow Web standardistas.</q>

shh! i'm still trying to convince my boss to send me there! :)

8/10. 11 May 2005 @ 13:58, Andrew K. wrote:

^ What he said (same boss too!)

Note to self: yell "Yah, FLASH!!!" during Cameron's presentation ;)

9/10. 17 May 2005 @ 23:39, Mobile Games wrote:

Sounds like a great thing to go to. Gonna try too.

10/10. 30 May 2005 @ 13:08, Tim Lucas wrote:

Sorry Cameron but it looks like I've just booted you off the bottom.

You're definitely right that it's cozier down south... I mean, who are these Meyer and Veen fellas anyways ;)

Post your own comments

Fields marked with an asterisk* are mandatory. All HTML tags will be escaped. http:// strings in comments will be auto-linked.